Even though cameras have been around for decades, technological breakthroughs in the past few years have made it more accessible for anyone to learn. The physical cameras are more advanced, information and tutorials are readily available on the internet, and digital software makes the final touches even better. As with any other industry in such a position, the number of professionals has increased dramatically. There are many times more professional photographers than existed only a few years ago and this is due, in large part, to the ease of use with many photo-capture technologies.
In order to stand out, it is necessary to do more than take great photos. A business and marketing sense is required to make a success photography business.
Reasons for a Professional Photography Logo Design
While there are many reasons for anyone to get a professionally designed logo, there are some aspects specific to photographers that should never go neglected.
1. Artistic design is not graphic design – there are plenty of great photographers that have skills capturing the moment and also edit well with software. Even with these skills, there is a vast difference between capturing a great scene and creating an abstract and marketable logo. The professional designers focus specifically on what makes a good logo, which includes aspects of marketability that many photographers might not even consider.
Professional logo designers have also been in the industry long enough to see what other photographers are using for their logos. This can give them an edge when developing something that is unique to you.
2. Photography matters, but marketing matters more – any professional photographer will be eager to show you his or her portfolio of previous shots. You can take a look at their best work, but only if you ask or seek it yourself. Marketing professional services is the only way that you will stay in business. A lot of professional photographers think that it is okay to neglect their logo altogether. When proud of the portfolio, it is difficult to come out of this mindset.
A professional logo designer will ensure that you have the ability to market your services. While the quality of the work is the utmost importance, when it comes to actually running a profitable business, the marketing is the most important thing.
3. Your images aren’t the only things that represent your brand – advocates of professional logos make a point of mentioning the importance of standing out from the crowd. If you are not able to stand out from competitors in such a popular industry as professional photography, there is no way that you can be successful. While your images have the biggest impact on potential customers, your logo will distinguish you and help them to remember your work and recognize your “brand”.
Brand recognition is incredibly important if you are in an overcrowded niche within the photography industry (like wedding photography, for instance).
4. Formatting logos is hectic – a good marketing campaign is going to require you to paste your logo in many different spots. With all the new mediums these days, you may need up to a dozen different logo sizes and formats that all have the same clear image of your company. A professional graphic designer will have no problem creating all the different formats for your logos. If you try to do this alone and don’t get adequate results, there is a good chance your brand’s image will suffer. You don’t want people to equate inconsistency and poor design with your brand!
5. Your logo, your values – every photographer has a set of values that govern how he or she lives and does work. Within photography there are many sub-niche areas where people are passionate and do their work with great care. Your logo needs to represent the values that you hold dear. Your prospective clients will feel your values through your logo, which can help them to make the decision that lands in your favor.
Need a professional logo designed?
We’ve worked with a number of professional photographers to come up with a brandable logo that represents them and their work to the fullest. We make sure the logo we design makes an attractive watermark that compliments the client’s work well. Check out our portfolio for examples of our logo design work.